When you have type 2 diabetes it is essential that you know the importance of healthy blood sugar levels so that you can achieve optimum health. When you maintain your blood sugar levels effectively you will be able to avoid the nasty complications that are associated with this terrible disease.
Understanding the importance of how blood glucose affects our bodies is vital. Your blood glucose is the body’s fuel that feeds our brain, tissues and our nervous system. When you have a healthy body your body makes glucose from the carbohydrates, proteins and fats that you consume.
Glucose is directly absorbed into your bloodstream from your intestines that results in an increase in your blood sugar levels. The pancreas releases a natural hormone called insulin that helps the prevent your blood sugar levels rising too high and it also helps to move the glucose into your cells. When this process occurs, it gives you the energy requirements that your body needs to function properly.
Your blood glucose levels are at a healthy normal range when your readings are between 4mmol/L and 7mmol/L. If your readings are constantly outside of this range you at a high risk of developing complications that can be very serious.
Maintaining healthy blood sugar levels is vital and can be achieved by following the guidelines listed below:
- Eating on a regular basis and at the same time each day is essential
- Drink plenty of water each day
- Make sure that you add plenty of fruits and vegetables to your diet
- Make sure that you do at least 30 minutes of exercise per day
- Add fish to your diet at least twice a week
- Always choose lean meats
- Always choose the low fat variety of food products
- Avoid processed foods at all times
- Avoid all foods that are high in saturated fats
- Limit your salt intake
- Limit your alcohol intake, and
- Add the right amount of carbohydrate, proteins and fats to your diet
A glucose test will be conducted to see if you have type 2 diabetes and whether you have healthy blood sugar levels if you have the following symptoms:
- An increase in thirst
- An increase in urine output
- Blurred vision
- Infections that won’t heal
It is vital that you realise the importance of healthy blood sugar levels when you have type 2 diabetes, by maintaining your levels effectively you can reduce your risk of long-term complications that are associated with diabetes.